Oldaker Christian Church is a community of faith, love and hope made up of people of varying ages, interests and backgrounds who are exploring and living out the Christian faith together.
We do most of the things that churches generally do – we worship, we engage with the bible, we eat together, we hang out with each other, we pray, we have fun, we support and love each other, we do life together, we serve the community.
We believe that through Jesus anyone can find true life, love, hope and a relationship with God and so together we are attempting to follow him and live his way.
Our vision is simply to be “A Living Church in the Living City”
We want to be a living, joyful, welcoming community of people, who live Jesus way, and we want to give everyone we interact with an opportunity to know and follow Jesus and find real life in him.
And our church building is located on Oldaker Street – in the heart of Devonport’s Living City Project – so it makes sense for us to be a living church in the living city.
We want to be a church where people who encounter us feel:
- blessed by their interaction with us; and
- a warm sense of welcome, hospitality, acceptance and belonging;
and where they:
- are given thoughtful opportunities to believe in Jesus; and
- where they can grow in their faith and become mature followers of Jesus who live their lives well.
Bless. Belong. Believe. Become.
The core values at the heart of Oldaker Christian Church include:
- The Bible
- Marriage & Family
- Evangelism & Discipleship
- Priesthood of all believers
The following is a Statement of Faith of our church or a summary of our core beliefs:
We believe the Bible as originally given by God is divinely inspired, infallible, and entirely trustworthy, and is the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct, from which we can know the following:
- God: There is one true, eternal, triune, creator God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Creation: God created all things, making man and woman in His own image and for relationship with Him.
- Sin: Sin entered into the world through human disobedience following the rebellion of Satan against God.
- Christ: The Son, Christ Jesus, was born of a virgin and lived as a sinless man. Out of the abundance of God’s love the Father gave His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die to save all people from sin. Christ rose from the grave defeating the power of sin.
- Salvation: The death and resurrection of Christ brings salvation by grace through faith to those who repent, seek forgiveness, and believe in Him.
- Spirit: The Holy Spirit lives within all those who have salvation, as a comforter and guide, guaranteeing their eternal hope and empowering them to live the Christian life.
- Church: The true universal Church is a spiritual entity composed of all individuals who put their faith in Jesus Christ. God has called individual Christians to meet together as local churches.
- Life: Those who trust in Jesus as their Lord and Saviour are called to live a transformed life and as such we have the responsibility to live his way which includes:
- Encouraging other Christians through meeting together for worship and fellowship;
- Upholding moral directives and ethical values contained in the Bible as expressed within the context of their personal life, their marriage life and their relationships with others;
- Sharing the good news about Jesus with others;
- Being active in expressing God’s love through social justice and acts of compassion.
- Eternity: Jesus is the only way to a relationship with God. Those who have received salvation have eternal life as joint heirs with Christ. Those who do not believe in Christ are separated from God for eternity.
- Return and New Creation: Christ will return as Lord to the earth and everyone will see him. There will be a new heaven and a new earth.
A church isn’t a building, a church is a community of people who have given their lives to Jesus and to living his way. However sometimes churches have buildings for their people to meet in.
In 2017, with the Living City Project taking shape all around us, we at OCC all felt that the time was right for us to repair and renovate our church building and bring it back to life, so we undertook an extensive building resurrection project.
Now we are fortunate to have a modern and functional church building, with off street parking and disabled access, that can facilitate church community life and worship, and be a blessing to our community.
Our church is governed by a team of Elders who have appointed a pastor and other key leaders to lead the ministry of the church. In reality, there are a lot of leaders at OCC who lead a lot of things and serve the church in formal and informal ways.
David has been at OCC most of his life! He is married to Lisel and they have 4 children (who are growing up too quickly!). He likes reading good literature, the beach, food (eating not cooking!), travelling, sport, chewing the fat about the big questions of life, hanging out with family and friends. He says, “I’m really excited about the journey that God is taking us on together at OCC to become a truly living church – a community of faith, love and hope – in the living city. There’s some good things happening, and we have a great bunch of people and it’s a cool thing to be a part of.”
Joe has grown up as a part of OCC and is now the youth pastor. He feels most at home by the seaside, enjoys reading books, learning about science, noodling around on his guitar and playing just about any sport! Currently, Joe is studying to obtain a Bachelor of Ministry. He says, “I love my job working with the youth of the church and consider it an absolute joy investing into their lives, and being able to see God work in and through them. I want to live a life devoted to serving God and believe that ministry is where he has called me to be.”